Mullinahone.net

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

As solid as a Rock Lodge

E-mail Print PDF
DURING THE first half of the last century the village of Mullinahone – Carrick Street – ended at the Rocks Road junction.
In the early 1940s the Co Council erected 10 new houses on the west side of Carrick Street and these mapped out the modern village until in the late 1950s and 1960s when new houses and new buildings began to be erected on the Carrick Road, thus enlarging the village.
 
Before circa 1775 the village did not exist except for a number of cabins lived in by workers on the nearby Killaghy Estate.
Round about this time a family called Nicholson-Constable who are buried in Kilvemnon were landlords in Beeferstown and Carrick Street.
One of them, Robert who was married to a Lanigan from Kilkenny had Rock Lodge built. This was pre-1800 as John Nicholson-Constable purchased the lease on his property in 1789.
Rock Lodge then could have been built as early as 1750. One hundred years later in 1850 Timothy Vaughan was a lessee of this property from Constable.

This was made possible by the granting of Catholic emancipation in 1829.
Catholics could now rent property unlike in the days of the penal laws. The Vaughans continued to live at Rock Lodge through the days of the Land War and the Carrick Street evictions.

Michael Vaughan was a prominent figure in both the Land League and a committee opposed to the Carrick Street evictions.
He and 5/6 of his sub tenants in Carrick Street were evicted in 1889/1890. This dispute was not legally resolved for 20 years until 1909. One would think that peace would then descend on Rock Lodge which was now in Vaughan ownership but this was not to be.
The War of Independence, 1918–1921, saw to that on May 6, Rock Lodge was destroyed by the Black and Tans in the company of other local houses in reprisal for local IRA activity.

The Nationalist newspaper of May 14, 1921 reported Mr Michael Vaughan's house at the extreme end of Carrick Street had windows, doors and all furniture demolished, presenting quite a desolate appearance. His was a splendid substantial residence stocked with valuable furniture and their loss was immense. Large apertures were made in the roof.
The house was repaired and restored in the new state which soon came into being. Rock Lodge remained the home of the Vaughan family all during the 20th century until the death of the late Peg Vaughan.

This fine house has since been extensively remodelled and refurbished. A smaller apartment has been added. Both these properties afford excellent views of Mullinahone and could not be more convenient to the village.
The main house is steeped in local and national history. Rock Lodge has been entwined in the history of Mullinahone village since its inception nearly three centuries ago.
It was built before 1798 and saw the sop lit on Carraigmoclear (the only place in Munster to rebel).

The Act of Union was passed in 1800 and Catholic Emancipation in 1829 saw the first Catholic Church built in the village and also allowed Rock Lodge to come into Catholic hands.
The house was totally involved in the Land War, suffered the horror of Black and Tan reprisal and saw Ireland become an independent nation.
The house saw the interests of local farming, including Mullinahone Co-op, develop and also saw the national games fostered and promoted.
T

hree generations of Vaughans have represented Tipperary in football and hurling. Bill, his son Lance and his son Kyran were the men in question.
To stay in Rock Lodge is to become an intrinsic part of Mullinahone life. It's very walls must exhale the memories of almost three centuries of village living.
Alma Vaughan's latest idea of renting out the house for short-term visitors is sure to attract those with a taste for history or a liking for the area.
It is a place relatively free of the stresses and strains of modern living. Rock Lodge has stood for part of three centuries at the entrance to the village on the road from the Anner and Slievenamon.
Always a part of the community and forever adaptable to change, it now faces the challenges of the 21st century.
History says it will not be found wanting. For those interested in Rock Lodge ring 052-53231.


ladies football – The junior women's football team played their league semi-final in Thurles on Saturday against Upperchurch.
Despite a long gap between the league games the Mullinahone side started well and opened the game with a goal by Emma Williams against an older and stronger Upperchurch.
But Upperchurch responded with a blitz of goals to leave the locals trailing at half time 4-3 to 1-4.
Mullinahone started the second half much better and changes made were working as Mullinahone got on top in most sectors. The local team fought hard to the end but couldn't get the goals needed and lost by 4-6 to 2-6.


Team — Lyza O'Halloran, Sandra O'Keeffe, Martina Griffin, Gillian Collins, Sarah Curran, Ann Marie Maher, Una Ryan, Mairead Luttrell (0-1), Tanja St John (1-1), Natasha Scott, Bernie Phelan, Mary Connolly (0-2), Eileen Brennan (0-1), Emma Williams (1-0), Ann Marie Horan. Subs Fiona Maher, Ava Hackett.
The Championship starts in the next few weeks and a big effort is required at training. The juniors and under-16's train together on Saturday, 10am and Monday, 7pm.


e8,000 jackpot — The local lotto jackpot was not won on July 5. Numbers: 5, 15, 16 and 25. Four shared a match three prize of e160: Gerry Gahan, Bridget O'Brien, Postman Pat and Aimee O'Brien.
The jackpot grows each week by e150.

The reclaiming of the well is receiving great support from people in the area with a big number of local volunteers joining in.
Subscriptions towards the project, as well as voluntary labour, are also being gratefully accepted.
For further details contact Mick Quirke, Clonagoose, Ray Cody, Gurteen or Joe Pollard Carrick Road.


underage gaa – The under-14 and 16 hurlers prepared for championship action by taking on Moycarkey in challenge games.
The 12s are also back on track, beating Carrick Davins in Mullinahone last week.
congrats — Rosie Walzer, Carrick Road, celebrated her birthday with a family trip to Florida.
Rosie is the popular secretary in the local St Michaels NS.

 

Who's Online

We have 105 guests online

Books

Knock na gow
Knocknagow or the Homes of Tipperary By Charles J. Kickham

South Tipperary
South Tipperary, 1570-1841: The Land, Region and Rivalry

 Sally Kavangh
Sally Cavanagh; Or the Untenanted Graves: A Tale of Tipperary
By Charles J. Kickham

Random Image

No images

Latest Comments

Translator


Newsflash

A notice in this week’s parish newsletter states "shop local and keep our local shops alive - keep our post office busy and it will stay.